Mardi Gras, French for “Fat Tuesday,” is traditionally a day to celebrate the last night of eating rich, fatty foods before the Christian Lenten season, characteristic of ritual fasting, which begins on Ash Wednesday. I mean, if you’re going to fast for the next 40 days, throwing a party to get all of your favorite indulgences in before you make the commitment makes perfect sense, right?!
And in the United States, New Orleans is commonly associated with Mardi Gras where their annual tradition of parades and parties and general merriment inspires us all. Laissez les bons temps rouler, right? That’s “Let the good times roll” for those who don’t speak French or aren’t fluent in “Mardi Gras.” In the spirit of good times and celebration, we’ve rounded up over 20 ideas for Mardi Gras foods, desserts, drinks and decor so you can throw a party your guests will remember fondly for the next forty days and beyond!
A Mardi Gras Party can be an elaborate endeavor with masks, costumes, feathers and beads or a simple affair with friends, family and your favorite foods. Here are a few Carnival-worthy recipes and decor ideas to inspire your celebration!
Mardi Gras Recipe Ideas
- Mardi Gras Dipped Pretzel Rods by Living Life As Moms
- Mardi Gras Beignets by Mom Dot
- Mardi Gras Snack Mix by Family Fresh Meals
- Chicken And Andouille Sausage Gumbo by Mooshu Jenne
- Instant Pot Jambalaya by Recipes From A Pantry
Mardi Gras Dessert Ideas
- Mardi Gras Cupcakes by Holly’s Cheat Day
- Mardi Gras Chocolate Dipped Cookies by Whisky N Sunshine
- Mardi Gras Cake by Beth Cakes
- Mardi Gras Fleur De Lis Spritz Cookies by Bake Love Give
- Traditional Mardi Gras King Cake by Brown Eyed Baker
Mardi Gras Drink Ideas
- Cajun Bloody Mary by Ezra Poundcake
- New Orleans Hurricane Drink by Foodie Misadventures
- King’s Cup Cocktail by Baked Bree
- Mardi Gras Smoothies (alcohol optional) by Living Well Kitchen
- Mardi Gras Lime Swamp Punch Mocktails by Jam Hands
Mardi Gras Party Decor Ideas
- DIY Flameless Glitter Votives For Mardi Gras by Best Friends For Frosting
- Air Filled Balloon Centerpieces by Mardi Gras Outlet
- Mardi Gras Garland by Hey Let’s Make Stuff
- Simple Mardi Gras Beaded Wreath by Simply Angies
- Mardi Gras Coaster by Rust And Sunshine
- DIY Mardi Gras Mask by About A Mom
We hope you’re inspired to put together a festive Mardi Gras party and have plenty of delicious and colorful ideas for your guests! Be sure to Pin this post for later party planning!